Pages

Thursday 27 October 2011

Cos We're Cosplaying Around!

Some of my recent adventures have involved costumes. ...Most of my recent costumes were worn on adventures.. Hmm, let me try again. People I know often don't recognise me because I tend to go out wearing crazy things. Most of them aren't really on purpose, it's just what I wear.

My workplace threw a Western style event and I had a lot of fun dressing up for that and I'm really looking forward to some upcoming Halloween events. It's nice when I get people asking me where I get/how I make my costumes, or if they can borrow one of them for their own parties. It's even nicer when people who I know are a lot more confident than I am in several ways - admire me because I can go out in public the way I do.

One of the highest compliments I've ever had was from an actress friend of mine. She said she wished she could dress like me. It's what she does for a living, but not something she could do in her spare time. It's just fun though, it's nice to be something or someone else for a day. I've just never grew out of the dressing up phase.

I've got a lot more friends who come along with me in costume now, and I'm getting better at makeup, wigs and all that jazz. It sucks though because several people I know are also huge costume snobs. One of them lives and breathes cosplay. She's good at it and you can tell she enjoys it.

She mostly buys her outfits as is from a store. Nothing wrong with that. There is a problem when you buy the 'sexy' version of costumes.. but attack other girls for doing the same. I don't want to make her sound evil, because she really is quite sweet.

I think some of it is to do with her own insecuritues about her body, I wish she'd realise that she doesn't have a problem. She's going on about diets and how she fails at them, when all she really needs is average exercise.

Her own cosplay friends are a bit bitchy in my eyes. Openly mocking other cosplayers (especially larger ones) and then going on convention websites and complaining that everyone's too judgemental. Sorry, what?

We both went to a few superhero themed parties and yes, she did attack the Wonder Woman costumes but I sometimes feel like it too. Not being Wonder Woman, because Wonder Woman is the freaking bomb. I'm talking about the tacky feminised versions of superhero outfits. I visited a new costume store and was completely bovvered by the crappy female options.

Let's see, you could be female Robin.. not Stephanie Brown, but just a prostitute version of the usual costume. Or you could be Batgirl! If Batgirl ever fought crime in either a short black dress that has the consistency and texture of a bin bag. Okay, how about Supergirl? This costume looks similar to her comic book.... apart from being completely PINK in a desperate attempt to grab the 'girlie' market! Yuck! What, can't we tell you're a girl if you're not completely covered.. nay, encased!! in pink?!


The several Wonder Women I saw all had the same costume on their skinny frames, and ALL of their partners went as Superman. Blah!! So... many things... WRONG! Lol. But I understand. These people aren't comic book readers. They don't have the time to scour the planet for the most authentic costume. Most people would rather get the 'sexy' Ninja Turtle dress than go out in public in the whole turtle costume.

One time I was walking the streets in my Batwoman outfit - home made - and some drunk clown yelled 'Hey, it's Catgirl!' My own superhero had to hold me back from unleashing vigilante justice.

'It's Catwoman anyway, bucko!'

It's just funny, I have to be completely anal about some things with my OCD and paranoia, but when it comes to cosplay, I just want to have fun. No, I won't spend $100 on a replica sword I can't even bring into the conventions. Will I make do with a plastic one and have a good day? Yes, yes I will.

Some of these people I've mentioned have to have everything in their outfit completely perfect and if something isn't quite right, it ruins their day. Maybe that's why they get cranky at slightly bigger than them cosplayers going off. Honestly, the picture I saw looked great. Only, it was in a bathroom reflection and you could see the toilet.

I really wish people wouldn't do that. Even if no one else can take your picture and your camara doesn't have an auto timer, there are still ways to avoid the 'looking like I'm in a bathroom stall' angle.

Next time I have to put up with a bunch of posers on a night out in a bathroom, I'm going to scream 'PERVERT!' at the top of my lungs and hope security tackles them on the gross floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment