Pages

Thursday 27 October 2011

Suicide Squad Harley Quinn

Yes, it's a little late to give a review about a comic that came out in September, but who asked you?
*insert rude hand sign here* (cue monocle drop and smash)

Anyway.. I've got mixed feelings. I've always had mixed feelings, it's part of being both a Libra and a psycho. Sometimes it does come in handy. I've got half a mind in each direction, so when something inevitable happens I can turn around and say 'I half told you so!'

This of course, doesn't make me many friends... which brings me back to comics.

Suicide Squad #1 - part of the new DC 52.

I'm going to say again, as I always say... I loathe first issues. They're all 'let's set up a story so you know what's going on' and I'm like 'where are these explosions you were telling me about?!' Of course I understand how vital first issues are, but they are so boring! They have to explain everything.

Not that there really is much to explain in the story. What I would have liked is a bit more on who the bleedin' hell the characters are. I'm not super familiar with the Suicide Squad past what I've seen in the Secret Six (R.I.P.) and read on the internet chit chats. So I know of the main three, the rest I don't know and so far I see no reason to care for them.

Every character gets a flashback page to their moment of downfall/capture which has then lead to their role in the Suicide Squad. I have to say, Harley Quinn's story was depressingly beautiful and I quite liked it. The rest were just.. nothing jumped out at me. Yes, I am a bit biased towards Harley but King Shark hasn't got the looks or personality he showed in the Secret Six - save for that bit where he played dead then screamed about meat.

Sometimes I still cry at night over Deadshot's ugly new outfit. I'm not a fashion Nazi but damn.. what on earth made them think that they had to get rid of the original costumes?! Blah! Now he's just a generic thug, no longer the bright opponent to the dark Batman.

Harley Quinn's costume I do like.. but not as a new outfit. I'm just sick of seeing her in a new costume for every new game or story. Especially ones that seem to get skankier each time. Do they even read the comics and see Harley's reactions to skanks like the Jokettes/the 'actress' playing her in a movie etc? Of course not.. now she looks just like them and about ten years younger, surprise surprise.

One thing about her outfit I noticed was her leggings. At least I thought they were leggings. In some panels they look like thick woollen socks. I gave this issue to my brother to read and asked what he thought and he said 'DUH, Lucky. They're in the snow?? Of course she's wearing warm socks!'

But... why wear warm socks and then leave your belly, chest and upper arms exposed? OH right, she's a female comic book character, how silly of me.

It was one of those books that you know what's going to happen because it always happens. The witty snaps aren't as fresh as they could be. The outfits.. hurt. There are too many characters in there, so when I catch up to the rest of the comic book world, hopefully they will have fulfilled the rumours and culled a few.

Of course I'm going to read it for the Harley Quinn, so these guys damn well better not let me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment