Pages

Saturday 6 August 2011

Kitty, Kitty, Quite Contrary... Where did your ears go?

There is more to being Catwoman than having cat ears. That said, you do kind of expect it. Otherwise, why not call yourself Burglar Woman? Thief Girl? Theft Lady? Selina Kyle is a cat person, owning enough to prompt a change of name to CatLady as well as donating to and acting on their best interests let alone dressing like a cat.
Then of course she IS a cat burglar.

When I decided to grace the world with my presence this fine morning, I was confronted with an uproar about Catwoman's apparent lack of ears. Alrighty then. There's always so much drama about the female stars in these movies. Firstly everyone whined that Anne Hathaway surely could NOT be playing teh Catwomans! People wondered if she would be sexy enough. Now it's all about the ears.

Well, she doesn't really need the ears... word on the digital street is that she may only be playing Selina Kyle so far. Then why is she on a Cat-cycle?

If they could make it look natural and proper, like Catwoman's costume revamp for the Hush series, then I think the ears would work.

I'd just like to point out though that I recently went to a costume party themed around the movies. For every really good character - Austin Powers, The Blues Brothers, Holly go Lightly, The Flintstones, The Incredibles, Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, Borat, The wolfpack from the Hangover... there was a tacky counterpart and these tended to be either Marilyn Monroe or some lame attempt as Catwoman.

Not saying either of them are actually tacky, just that these people really should have either put some effort in or gone as someone else. Twenty plus Marilyns is just ridiculous. Slapping on cat ears and wearing the shortest black dress you could find does not make you Catwoman. It doesn't even make you sexy. I saw a guy dressed up as Harold from the soap Neighbours and HE was sexier than you!

I'm not really a fan of the new Batman movies although I appreciate what it's doing for the genre. Bold, dramatic, edgy and fleshed out are all words you could describe these movies with but it does lack one vital word. ENTERTAINING. Damn, I was bored in those movies. (prepares for hate mail hail storm)

Why can't there be a happy medium between the insane Batman movies and the super serious ones?

I don't really want to see S&M Catwoman, but I don't think we need a bland one either. These current movies try to be so 'real' and if that's why they're leaving out the cat ears when she's going to have to act next to a man in a re-enforced Bat suit well then I.. I can't even finish this sentence. I am liking the sensible hair however. Which is usually sadly underrepresented in Hollywood.  

This movie has to do justice to Catwoman, and that's a really big ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment