Pages

Friday 8 December 2017

Adventures in Dreamtime II: The Fever Dreams



So apparently this is mostly going to be a blog about my outlandish, freaky dreams.
I do remember most of my dreams. I know some folk don't, so I consider myself lucky.
Considering what I remember.... twisted, yes, but also lucky.

Dreams are great, they can be like movies but like movies they often suffer from poor characterisation, plot holes and they suck. Or they're nightmares - the worst kind are the ones that aren't full blown nightmares but still kind of dreams, that you can't wake from.

I still like the fact that I can remember most of my dreams. Yes, it makes me feel special, but also I get to wonder what's up with my subconscious that I think up these messed up scenarios.

I've always liked cars. I grew up wanting a magenta Jaguar because I liked cats and my Barbie had some sweet wheels. All my life I have wanted to literally own a monster truck. Yet, I'm happy with my small car. Fuel is (relatively) cheap, parking is a breeze, it's surprisingly roomy and zippier than people like to admit. Also, I don't have to help people move houses or watch my roof when I go into car parks.

That said, my husband recently upped his sedan for a 4wd ute and I love it. It's probably as close as I'll ever get to being a monster truck driver and it's got fun new features that my car (obviously) doesn't have. I don't know if it's because it's so big or so new, or not "really" my car but if we were going somewhere like the city or a shopping centre, I prefer to take my car.

I feel like my car is literally an extension of my body, much like an exquisite weapon of some kind and also part of my soul, like being an Evangelion pilot but with slightly less insane emotional angst and existential crisis's. ....just slightly less.





Earlier this week I had a horrible bout of the flu complete with head cold and a fever, but I didn't sleep too bad. Today though, I was driving home from work and was stopped behind a ute at traffic lights. The ute had a T-frame on the back of it's tray, and while I was waiting I became fascinated with what appeared to be a comically oversized leaf stuck in the tail gate.

Don't judge me, it had just been that kind of day!

I guess the wind picked up, and it dropped down from there, and just as the lights turned green I lifted out of my seat to look at it on the road way... either to see how big it really was and I suppose I wanted to make sure it was a leaf and not something I shouldn't be driving over.

As I turned the corner onto the highway, I had a vivid flashback to a dream I had earlier in the week.
This one I don't remember too much of, but the part that sticks out to me was that I was looking at the front of my car and thinking, hmm, this is odd.


It was a very calm, almost zen like state of contemplation. I should have been freaked out more but you know how these dream states are, you rarely get the chance to go apeshit. You're allllways in the chill out zone.

What was going on with my car, you ask? Well for one thing, it was slightly off colour but the major thing was that the front of my car, like the bonnet and bumper front of the car but not the windscreen or anything else... was HUGE.


As in, the size of a conservatively sized American sedan or ute HUGE. No joke, you could have balanced one of these larger cars on my bonnet alone and there would have been room to spare!
The strange dream circumstances made my car - well, the rest of my car - the same size.

So basically my small, hatchback had grown a ginormous front but otherwise, and ridiculously unscientifically - mechanically safe some how.

And dream me just stood there and thought 'oh that's funny' like I had found a stray Smartie in a bag of M&M's instead of a massive motor-based anomaly that defies reason and belief.

I don't know why this dream happened. I have to admit, I have been thinking about what I'll do when it eventually comes time to replace this car. A few of my work friends have been either buying or talking about getting new cars.

Maybe these thoughts collided, gestated in my head and were coaxed out of hiding by the siren call of cold and flu medicine? Who knows. It definitely took me out of my comfort zone, that's for sure.




No comments:

Post a Comment