Pages

Saturday 15 November 2014

Literally, I can't... Literally you shouldn't!

I thought I'd check the news today and one headline jumped out at me...

"The women just went crazy!"

Of course I clicked on it! Then, the page couldn't be found which only deepened my suspicions. What the hell happened today?! I googled that headline and found a couple of hits.
Turns out it was just Red Foo and a bunch of idiots being Red Foo and a bunch of idiots.

Basically, they'd released a song and were subsequently butt hurt because they felt that they were unjustly attacked by those wicked, wicked feminists, female bloggers, well, basically females in general. Why do these women have so many agendas? Why are they out to hurt poor Red Foo?
Let's have a look..






Literally I Can’t is a collaboration between production duo Play-N-Skillz, rapper Lil’ Jon, Sideshow Bob lookalike Redfoo and someone named Enertia McFly. Released to YouTube at the start of the month, the dance track has since drawn heavy criticism not just because it’s objectively terrible (it is), but because of the appalling attitudes the singers offer up regarding women and the issue of consent.
In the music video, the ‘Literally I can’t’ women are prim, conservatively dressed sorority sisters who arrive at a raucous house party and rebuff the advances of the drunken frat bros inside with the refrain “Literally, I can’t.”
The irresistible invitations these girls are refusing? Tequila shots, an invite to the after party and a request to watch them engage in some ‘girl on girl’. Charming.
After responding “Literally, I can’t” to each of these offers, the girls get rushed and tackled by the boozed-up jocks, and rapper Lil’ Jon shouts his instruction to them, which acts as the chorus for the whole wretched song: An aggressive demand for women to “SHUT THE F**K UP!”
                                  
Literally, I can’t with the fact that one in five women are sexually assaulted while in college.
Literally, I can’t with the fact that 55 percent of sexual assaults happened at a party.
Literally, I can’t with the fact that 95 percent of campus sexual assaults go unreported.
                                        
LESS than 24 hours after issuing an apology over his controversial new song, which some critics say fuels misogyny and a “rape culture”, embattled singer Redfoo has taken to Sydney radio in a 14-minute rant about bloggers, media and ‘women with an agenda’.
“The women have gone crazy on me,” he said. “We’re just trying to make a fun song, a party song — having fun ... I don’t know how ‘rape culture’ and ‘Redfoo’ got into the same headline.”
“We live in this society where it’s about the blog … all these blogs are designed to get clicks. That’s the economy of these blogs and negativity gets attention and gets clicks.
“Then what happens is, if you’re a blog writer, you have to do 25 articles a day … and you can’t plagiarise so you have to change it and refine it ... and then it got to the groups, the feminist groups who came in.”
“What I realise at the end of the day, I love everyone and I have fans from three to 93.
“I have kids from everywhere, not just Australia, and they want to be like Redfoo. They love Redfoo and I love them. I love the families, I love everybody.”
                             
If you're curious, here are the lyrics (some may be misspelled, there's a lot of misinformation going on, apparently... )          
                             



So! Being Australian and completely anti-social, I have never personally experienced this sorority/fraternity/campus stuff but obviously a lot of the television shows and movies produced in America and screened here show aspects of that life. From what I have seen and read, there are definite benefits to that life, such as being lucky enough to find a mentor in your group that looks out for you, social events, affordable housing etc but there is a lot of negative publicity regarding some of the parties and some of the weird frat activities and obviously, a large bunch of sexual assaults that seem to get wedged somewhere between the law and the campus law enforcement, if they get as far as being reported at all. 
Having said that, I am offended by this song. I'm offended at the mere inclusion of Lil' Jon for a start. #I Literally Can't fathom why anyone would want him anywhere near a record with his stupid name, stoner catchphrases and that sinking feeling like he's set any black movement back a few thousand years just by being alive. 
Secondly, Red Foo. I've never actually cared for him, I do admit I like the Party Rock song, especially at the gym but I can't say that any of his other songs have appealed to me or anyone I know. I watched him on the Australian Voice or whatever show he's actually on like, once, and that was it because he was sooooo annoying - even worse than Ronan Keating, and that's saying something! At least Ronan acts like a judge, Red Foo just seems to be there for ... I don't know, I feel like the shows even making fun of him. What I will say is this.. he needs to get over himself. 
It's not the blogger's fault, you weren't misinterpreted in any way, and if you can't understand why a music video telling girls to either do what idiot frat boys want or get taken down or yelled at to shut up offends people.. then you need to step back and reassess the situation. 
It's bad enough when there's Steubenville and Houston, but even if you don't follow those cases you would have seen or heard about people who have either sent suggestive images to a partner and had them put on line when the relationship soured or worse, people who have filmed sexual assaults and instead of notifying authorities they uploaded them or passed them around their social circles. In the film clip there is a gross dude who does just that - videos some girls and posts it to a site. 
Is there not enough pressure on young girls to be seen as attractive and like able to boys? Do we really need another jerk wad song to come along and ruin people's days? Personally, I'm hoping this will just go the way of Robin Thickehead, Nitty, and all those other slimy smut peddlers no one ever hears about again. 
It can't be a coincidence that we get rid of one jerk and then another comes along who just seems to crave the bad publicity. Just like that new creepy 'date advice' loser - they only want the bad publicity because they know they could never get any news the other way. Fingers crossed someone Dexters that guy. 

"Got it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment