Pages

Friday 2 December 2011

Suicide Squad in Your Pants!

Wow! I'm now up to date on the Suicide Squad and many other DC re-leech titles. I am sweet, sweet loving Huntress, Batgirl and Batwoman. Supergirl is interesting and Birds of Prey is too. Some of the other ones are a bit random. Enjoying Wonder Woman wandering down a street, waving her sword aloft and asking pedestrians if they've seen any harpies just hangin' around. Wonder Woman itself is a good comic.. the art is a bit distracting though. Now, Suicide Squad!


Where to start? Okay, how about HARLEY - you have impressed me with your super quick changes! You went from new clown-whore costume into rodeo-clown-whore costume in less than a panel, even though that corset can't be that easy to get out of, let alone your crazy stocking things.
Then you just blow my mind away when you do it in reverse, and this time you're not even holding the other clothes at all.


Just all casual there with the glove pulling.. Geez, even Superman and Wonder Woman take a page or a few panels to 'quick change'. Poison Ivy been spiking your Whizz Fizz again, sweetie? Or, it could be lazy artists. True, it's not exactly important to the story but you do notice these little things. Like.. Harley's freaky cape going missing, then coming back for the reunion special on the next cover.

 


I was never really a fan of the cape. Why would a clown need a cape? Let alone a stupid mini cape. Batman's cape is practical, and inspires fear. You see the cartoony Batgirl's mini cape and you see someone *playing* at being a hero. Same thing with Harley's juggalette sideshow act. I'm still hung up over why Snow White needed a damn cape. What, there wasn't enough volume in that ballroom gown of hers?

Now the next item of business is Harley's personality. I like it. She seems a lot more herself than she did in the first issue (I always hate first issues for this reason) whether it's eating ice cream in a war zone, her clever and dangerous use of gas in the diner, her concern for her teammates and her general enthusiasm for the weird and violent.
That's all great, she's a joy to read! BUT....

I've admitted I don't mind her current costume, but I would prefer it if it didn't become her only costume, and I still don't see why she needs so many damn remakes. Someone asks who your favourite comic book character is and they assume you mean that 'hot nurse chick, whatshername,  from Arkham Asylum'. 
Um, no.

So yes, all of her new costumes seem to get skankier as if her previous skin tight costume wasn't sexy enough. Now they have her 'sorting out the payment' in the supermarket with a shot of her pasty white butt crack leaving us with no doubt how. Then, she suddenly decides to come on to Deadshot for some dirty bathroom loving, for what reason I'm still not sure.

A lot of reviews for this issue criticise Harley fans for assuming that the Joker is the only man for her but I think a key element of their relationship is that they're too messed up for anyone else. Not only that but this scene just didn't seem right. It was like they realised that by now readers want some hot sex, so they throw in a line about Harley being turned on by the take charge type and then boom!

I'm still confused about the relaunch. Did the Secret Six never happen? Did Harley and Floyd never work together previously? Is Floyd still with his partner? Does Jeanette haunt him? Where did Harley's 'loooooong' list of ex boyfriends come from? Isn't Harley kinda devoted to the Joker and trying to win him back? I guess none of it matters when you're separated and horny? I'm not saying Harley can't get her kicks elsewhere, it's just that it seemed really forced and 'Hi, I'm a token female, let's have sex!'-ish. That and DC is trying to be all edgy with the Cat'n'Bat romps, Starfire the extraterrestrial slut and what have you.

The comic is fast paced, sure, but as a zombie fan I would have liked a bit more lead up to the stadium fiasco. I still don't know or care who the Mad/Wild Dog is or Yo-Yo or whatever are. El Diablo and Black Spider are getting a little more interesting. The Wall isn't as intense as she usually is, and I suspect maybe sudden weight loss is the culprit.

I know I can't keep going back to Secret Six but SECRET SIX IS AWESOME and Suicide Squad while interesting just doesn't have the oomph that the Six did. Hell, Floyd had a damn personality in it too. King Shark.. oh.. I miss you and your fantastic ways. I see a little bit of that going on in the latest issue, I quite liked the necklace gag and the bit about the sasquatch - but you still just hide in the background until it's time for someone to offer up their head as a sacrifice.

So the series is showing a little more promise now, which is great because as much as I bag it out, I really want another series with Harley Quinn in it to succeed. Even if she's not quite the Harley we know..

No comments:

Post a Comment