Pages

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Songs in 30 Days Or Less

Oh no, I won't condemn you into the 30 Day Facebook Song Challenge. Let's do it in one fell swoop, me hearties. Arrrr.


Day 01 – Your favourite song
'Stars' - Simply Red


Also one of my favourite bands. This song has been popular in my family for ages, and it will always hold a place in my heart.

Day 02 – Your least favourite song

'Nasty Girl' - Nitty

(I'm not linking this crap, you think I want to turn away potential readers?!)

Actually, I'm flattering it by calling a song. I hate samples. I enjoy some samples, but overall I hate them because little pieces of trash like Nitty here butcher and skankify beloved songs like 'Sugar, Sugar' by the Archies. It was big at the time but thankfully I seem to be the only person who remembers this loser. Be grateful I don't know where you live, Nitty.

Day 03 – A song that makes you happy
'Move Your Feet' - Junior Senior


Don't stop (don't stop) don't stop the beat!
Can't stop (can't stop) can't stop the beat!
I Won't stop (won't stop) won't stop the beat, and go!

How can you not feel happy with a song like this?? I also love the clip, a brilliant little destructive squirrel animated thing with references to Star Wars, it's so suggestive yet still innocent.




Day 04 – A song that makes you sad
'Pursuit of Happiness' - Kid Cudi/MGMT


I do like this song, it just has this sad, dramatic music in the background, the video with Kid the only one at the party in his own space with everyone else slow-mo getting maggoted and smiling. He's singing about how he's going to be fine when he finally chases down what will make him happy. Kind of rings some bells.


Day 05 – A song that reminds you of someone
'Cure for the Itch' – Linkin Park


Perhaps a strange choice, I've always loved this song. Back when I was a manager of a certain evil fast food corporation (how evil were we? Our Drive-Thru was a parking lot and we charged by the minute!) we used to let loose and plug in our walkmans/Ipods/phones, whatever, and blast our tunes over the store - usually during opens or closes. Anyway, my super good buddy there had the whole Linkin Park album on his device, but he would always skip this. Fair enough, he hated the intro, I do too. So this one time I tackled him and made him listen to the whole thing. He loved it, and raved about how awesome it was. I nodded.


Day 06 – A song that reminds of you of somewhere
'Undisclosed Desires' - Muse


I went on a cruise at the end of 2009 and this song had just come out, so we'd hear it all the time. We also used to play 'the Stroke' a lot, but that reminds me more of the film 'Blades of Glory' - especially when we used to Chazz Michael Michael down the hall. Every time I hear it now, I think of all the fun times my family, my partner and I had on that ship and the surrounding islands.

Day 07 – A song that reminds you of a certain event
'I Gotta Feeling' - B.E.P

(Again, not linking. You all know what it sounds like, ya bastards!)

The song that go popular because it's about drinking and partying.. and it's so repetitive that you can even sing it while drunk at a party because that's all it is. Repetitive, loud, shouty and stuttery. However, it does remind me of MovieWorld's 75th Anniversary of DC Comics 2010. It was the main song for the night parade where the Joker, Harley Quinn, Green Lantern, Batman, Catwoman, The Flash, Hawkgirl, Wonder Woman, Lex Luthor, Ultra Humanite, Star Sapphire and a bunch of Looney Tunes stopped fighting each other, and started.. dancing around the streets.. with bubbles...
Yeah, it sounds terrible but it was really fun and the song was tolerable then because at the time I was working there and I would dance to it if it took my fancy.

Day 08 – A song that you know all the words to
'Harder Better Faster Stronger' – Daft Punk



Oh yes. I can. Hahaha
Yes, a lazy option perhaps but I love this song, and it is true. Daft Punk is the bomb.

Day 09 – A song that you can dance to
'Leva's Polka' - Basshunter




I haven't actually danced to it yet, but it's on a CD in my car so whenever I hear it, all I can do is imagine little cartoon characters doing a funny little dance to it. I adore songs like this that get your imagination going. That, and funny little dances.

Like this.


Day 10 – A song that makes you fall asleep
'In the House - In a Heartbeat' - John Murphy



I have never fallen asleep to this song, but I did comment to a chump when I watched 28 Days Later for the first time that it was the kind of song that lulls you into impending doom. Which kind of makes you want to curl up and sleep to escape it. Of course, the song builds up into more. At first you can barely hear it, then when you do you don't know how long it's been there for and finally when it makes itself fully known it's too late. The zombie is in the room with you.

Day 11 – A song from your favorite band
'DARE' - Gorillaz


Huge Gorillaz fan, I am. So I like most of their songs, even the strange B and or G sides but this one is perhaps my favourite of theirs. Simple, catchy and fun. The film clip was focused on Noodle - my favourite Gorillaz character - and featured her sweet vocals over the top of her little Frankenstein's monster.

Day 12 – A song from a band you hate
'Stronger' - Kanye West

(Nehhh.... not linking. You know the drill.)

Firstly, it's annoying because it made everyone think that Daft Punk copied Kanye. Even though Kanye sampled Daft Punk who I heard sampled some other French dude from the start.. you know what? Never mind. I didn't like it because of the obligatory stuttering and bad English rappers feel they have to emulate, but also because some dick stole my kid brother's phone and this was his ring tone at the time. Dick. Don't steal. 

Day 13 – A song that is a guilty pleasure
'See You Again' - Miley Cyrus


I'm sorry! I think it's cute! To be honest though, I liked it before I realised it was in fact Miley. They played it at work a lot so you either assimilate or start twitching on the hour every hour. This song is the only one of hers I like. Party in the USA has a cute little 'yea-eee-eh-yie-eh-ee-eh' bit in it (it doesn't read like the yodel I just wrote) but that's it. Every other song That I have heard her sing SUCKS. I feel guilty about beating up on a kid, but then that kid is a Disney owned merchandise maker, which is mostly why I don't like her, even though I have nothing against her personally.

Day 14 – A song that no one would expect you to love
Eminem – most songs

Why? I don't know. I like his radio worthy songs, the rest of them kinda make me not like him. I'm known to have feminist views, and I'm not ashamed of that. I appreciate humour, even Eminem's brand but I think people equate wanting equal rights with violence and that's why I expect people don't think I would like Eminem. Not true. My violence is a separate entity to my equality battle. I want equal rights...for *me*. Violently.

Day 15 – A song that describes you
'Butterfly' - Crazy Town

So sexy, almost evil? Wait, that can't be me. I'm total evil. This song has been plagiarised in an attempt to sing my praises though. Still, I get Blink 182's 'Girlfriend' actually sung to me on a daily basis, as well as more flattering ones. So, to answer the question.... I don't know. How about something instrumental?

Day 16 – A song that you used to love but now hate

'The Reeling' - Passion Pit


I don't hate it, I just can't enjoy it like I used to. It was on my play list during a particularly bad time in my life and somehow I equate it with both being free and trapped. My mind can be an interesting place, but at least my taste in music is good.

Day 17 – A song that you hear often on the radio

'Born This Way' - Lady GaGa

(Come on people, get with the times.)

I wish I didn't. Lady Gaga gets plenty airtime without stealing mine too. Besides, it's true what everyone says, it is waaay too much like Madonna's song in content, dress sense and melody. Anyway, it grates because you were not born that way, unless someone gave you make-up in the womb and weird attention seeking outfits, woman!

Day 18 – A song that you wish you heard on the radio

'Mucho Mambo Sway' - Shaft

A little known (yes, sampled) song from years back which used to play all the time. In fact, I would tape it ALL the time because I loved it so much I didn't want to have to rewind it to hear it again. So, I have a tape full of this song including a fast techno remix which was soon irrelevant because I ended up buying the single when it came out anyway. I didn't buy the CD though, which I kind of regret because I never heard of it again but to be honest, the other singles weren't as good. 





Day 19 – A song from your favorite album
 'Frontier Psychiatrist' - The Avalanches

This song is awesome! The whole album with the exception of one or two songs is awesome! This song was awesome enough to have two film clips, in case one wasn't kuh-razzzzzy enough!


Day 20 – A song that you listen to when you’re angry
'Engel' - Rammstein


I like singing songs in other languages. This song I fell in love with after I saw a Neon Genesis Evangelion music video. Angels, German, Asuka... it all fit. It's a great song.

Day 21 – A song that you listen to when you’re happy
'Boink Bonk' - $cout (TF2 parody of Ke$ha's 'Tik Tok')


What more can I say.... the only good thing to come out of the whole Ke$ha mess. *wipes away tear*

Day 22 – A song that you listen to when you’re sad

Most of the tunes regarding Rei or Angel attacks, rogue Evangelions or Thanatos from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Look 'em up or watch the show.

Day 23 – A song that you want to play at your wedding
'Lovesong' - the Cure


I want this song because it reminds me of my love. It's also a great song because while simple, it reminds us that great relationships aren't all sunshine and daisies, but the true ones will work them out. Also, the Cure are pretty awesome and I don't think my partner in crime would want Love cats or the Walk. Heh heh.

Day 24 – A song that you want to play at your funeral
'Golden Brown' - the Stranglers


A bit cruel, or perhaps kind to make one choose one's own funeral dirge. Well, this song is distant and I suppose not too cheerful but the tune is relaxing and gives you time to think. I think I'd be conflicted to actually use it because again, it's a popular song in my family and I wouldn't want to ruin it for them. This song always used to remind me of the Addams Family a bit. I just like this song.

Day 25 – A song that makes you laugh
'Jizz in My Pants' - The Lonely Island




Yes, an obvious choice but easier than picking a favourite out of all my Weird Al songs.

Day 26 – A song that you can play on an instrument
'Celebration Music' – Star Wars Episode 1


I actually can play this, with my powers of percussion. It was great because it had just came out in the cinemas so my friend and I went to go see it with Amidala lipstick (well, we tried) and later we were up in my room banging away. We're not friends anymore, but I kind of enjoyed watching her sit there and be jealous in a quiet sort of way.


Day 27 – A song that you wish you could play
'Paint it Black' - The Rolling Stones



This is a really great track with an unique sound. A bit sad, but still rocking.

Day 28 – A song that makes you feel guilty
'We are the People' - Empire of the Sun



I used to love this song but when I hear it now it makes me feel sad because at the time I was in a situation with the love of my life. I had never felt so alone and confused, like that one person you see doing the Macarena the wrong way on the dance floor. I was at a pool bar and someone put this song on the jukebox for me and I was singing the chorus when it really hit home.

'I can't do well when I think you're gonna leave me, but I know I try. Are you gonna leave me now? Can't you be believin' now?'

It was all I could do to not fling my drink to the floor and start sobbing on the pool table. We were losing the game anyway.

Day 29 – A song from your childhood
'I Want To Make You Sweat' - UB40

(No link. Bleeeeehhhhhhhhhh)

Wow, I didn't know that was UB40. Anyway, this song used to creep me out because I was too young to quite understand and it sounded to me like this dude was making the girl cry. I mean, seriously, think about it. Read those lyrics without thinking about sex and it sounds like torture. Why was I young enough to know about torture but not sex? Don't ask questions.

Day 30 – Your favourite song at this time last year
'We No Speak Americano' - Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP

It's hard to look back and go oh yes, it was that song at exactly this month so here's one that can't fail. Hooray! This is how you sample and make a good job of it. Also quite a few monies while you're at it, I imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment