Pages

Saturday 18 June 2011

Retro Fever, or Beaver Fever? Beliebe it.

I'm so stoked, one of my eBay orders arrived today and guess what it is? I can't hear you, so I'll tell you anyway!! *Squee!!* Four British first editions of Mai, the Psychic Girl. Holy crap!

I used to read this series when I visited the library after school and I loved it. Never seen it since though, especially after some spunk wad decided to deface the few, non-sexual nude scenes with some interesting additions of penises (amongst other things) and the library removed it.

There's not a lot of information about it on the vast internets which is a bit dissapointing. Until I read the Wikipedia page for it, I had no idea that it was one of the first manga to be published in English. I just loved the detailed, yet simplistic art, the interesting story and how it's still a timeless story, understandable to any generation.

The books I read in my Australian library were the 'Perfect Collection' volumes, of which I only ever got to read two of. My eBay purchase came as four smaller volumes, so it cost a little more and the covers contained minor spoilers but that's not a big deal. The dust covers are still in good condition from 1989, and inside the book there's some colour art, a random shiny title page and an interview with the artist so it's a fair trade off.

Man, I am stoked. I've already devoured the first volume and I can't wait to get into the rest. There's talk of maybe making a movie out of it? I don't know.. /I wasn't really interested when they mentioned the Battle Angel Alita potential movie. I mean, it gave us Dark Angel. If you haven't read BAA, you really should. I'm a fan of the classics, so I'm finding it hard to get into Last Order, but it's still damn decent.

I also found the Daria boxset had come out on the weekend. Yay! I knew they were having troubles with the licensed music they featured in the episodes, and I was beginning to lose hope that they would come out here at all.

I don't really understand the fuss about five, maybe ten seconds of your decade old song appearing in an awesome animated TV show. Surely it would only do them good as advertising? Still, I suppose nobody likes a sue-baby. Oh well. I'm sure I won't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Not only that, but I did bid for this on eBay as well (obviously, I didn't win it) but I paid less in store for the boxset (very rare) and it's all the seasons, plus the movies and a few extras. Loving it. I have missed my Daria.

No comments:

Post a Comment