Pages

Sunday 26 June 2011

What in the Harley Heckies?



So I wandered back to the realm of teh Internets, and I'm reading about another DC universe reboot. Yeah, I'd heard about it before now, but I didn't really pay too much attention. Hey, I love comics but hell, they're comics. They reboot so much these days it's like watching a beloved family computer restart itself to death. It's sad, but you can't help but keep a little hope alive in case things get better.

Well, I'm not stressing too much about another super dramatic super tie-in universe and multi verse ultra drama llama special edition because it just screams to me that the company is realising how their sales are going and then deciding to pull a 'season finale' attention grabber. DC is getting a bit like that hypochondriac you always see at the doctor's surgery.
Now there was a lot of fuss about Wonder Woman's reboot and new outfit. I personally don't mind the outfit too much but you have to admit that while it's nice to have something more than stars and garter belts, it just doesn't have the pizazz of the classic costume. A common complaint is that the boots blend in with the pants too easily, for example.

I can see what they're doing with it, you know, she hasn't *quite* earned her WW booties in this version and isn't trying to be noticed so much. When her classic costume is drawn right, it's fantastic. It's just when someone makes it all super corset bust and swimwear cut up to the lower rib cage that I start to worry. She's here to fight crime and save the world, preferably while comfortable. Or does being Wonderful prevent chafing and awkward sunburns?

So some more revamps see Superman wearing jeans, Barbara Gordon losing her wheels, Batman becoming just the one crazy dude in a cave again and so on..
I say again, this is comics. People die, then come back, and die again and we don't seem to mind. Messing with well known histories is a little bit risky though.

It could either go really well or it could just alienate a good chunk of the fan base. I sure don't want to be in the room with a devoted money-spending comic fan when the big company decides to invalidate most of their graphic novel collection. No one sits a kid down in a classroom and says - 'Hey, remember all that information about World War II I made you revise? Yeah, forget all that it's irrelevant compared to WWnU II. My bad.'

What worries me is Harley Quinn. I've just seen her revamped outfit. Well, if you can call it that. I'm all for new takes on her costume - her wench in waiting outfit in the Emperor Joker arc, her entire wardrobe in the Joker one shot graphic novel, her prison two toned dreads in Arkham Asylum: Madness and the alternate take in Batman: Thrill Killer. That's just it though - these are short lived episodes that have no effect on her everyday costume.

The same costume that's been bastardised in the video games and stage show. Do they have to re imagine everything? Is the classic jester outfit so bad? It's getting so that nobody will be able to be sure that they're looking at Harley Quinn anymore. A slim blonde sidekick with a flair for acrobatics? Yeah, they're so rare in comics. I'm sure some readers wouldn't even have noticed Jewelee slipping into Harley's role in Salvation Run, thinking it's just another weird outfit she found in the street and decided to wear. Hmm, and after their slumber party I thought those two were friends...lol.

I've read that Harley will appear in the Suicide Squad and that interests me because I did like her involvement in the Secret Six. Only her outfit, despite the whole press release about how DC women aren't going to be complete flashers anymore - is skank central. It's cute, in a kooky sort of way but if it could just be a one off Else worlds bit, that would be SUPER.

So she's got two toned pigtails with crazy bangs. Her domino mask is now clown make-up. The white collar that was so familiar is now a weird little cape thingy with a ruff collar for some reason. Her gloves are quite nice, but strangely her thigh high boots aren't two toned.. at least it doesn't look like it. I'm not sure why she's wearing a corset bustier thing that looks like it's pretty uncomfortable to wear without a bra, let alone doing a somersault in. The belt is thicker than her bottoms and she is armed to the oddly Joker shaped teeth.







I was wondering why she had so many bullets attached to her outfit when she was wielding a traditional Harley mallet and a fancy knife, but I guess the two saddle bags somehow staying attached to those tiny pants are actually gun holsters. You know, for when she has a hand free I guess. It could be just the colouring, but it looks like they're sticking with the red/purple as opposed to red/black. This makes me a sad two toned tiger.

I mean, she looks kick ass in this picture. I would like to know why she's single handedly leading a war while some sort of hammerhead and clone wars reject just stand around in the background but maybe their outfits aren't as sexy as hers. It's great seeing Harley being randomly being a loose cannon, but I have a sinking feeling that she is only on the cover for her outfit and in the actual issue she won't be doing anything as bold as she's depicted here.

I don't know too much about the Suicide Squad but I'm pretty sure they have a) a leader and b) a few more
I don't know, it just makes her look like some goth teenager going through a phase.
Harley Quinn: Mid Life Crisis Point?

A Random Summary:

SUICIDE SQUAD #1
They're a team of death-row super villains recruited by the government to take on missions so dangerous – they're sheer suicide! Harley Quinn! Deadshot! King Shark! Defeated and imprisoned, they're being interrogated about their mission – and about who's pulling the strings behind this illegal operation. Who will be the first to crack under the pressure?


Spooooooilllllerrrrrrrrrsssssss..... Err, this kinda sounds like the Secret Six: Villains United but okay.
Um, I thought Deadshot would rather have shot himself than go back to the Squad? I thought King Shark was in the Six? .....I didn't know he was a hammerhead...? What happened to Deadshot's outfit?!

So, I've lost the Secret Six. I'm probably going to lose Gotham City Sirens. I am interested in the Batwoman series, I really liked Batwoman: Elegy. I would like to get back to one Batman and not so many reserve Batmen each with their own Robin and or Batgirl. However, I don't know what the hell is going on with Harley, comics and/or sharks. I am really confused. This better freakin' be good, DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment