Pages

Thursday 23 June 2011

We Need To Work On Our Math Debating!!

Well, what a week so far. My pre-order of the Women of the DC Universe series 3 Harley Quinn bust finally arrived so that was great. It's designed by Amanda Connor and depicts Harley on a deck of cards base looking quite evil while devouring a Joker lollipop. Because the actual title of this model is such a mouthful, I've been referring to this part of my collection simply as 'Puddin' Pop Harley'.

The little details by sculptor Jim Maddox are really quite nice to look at. One side of the deck she's standing on is defaced, but not to the extreme so it would be possible to overlook that at first glance. The pom-poms on her neck piece and liliripes are pock marked like little golf balls, giving the impression that they would be fluffy to the touch. Obviously they aren't but it is an area that most Harley statues don't bother with so the attention to detail pleased me.

I do think that her liliripes are a bit on the skinny 'how do you stay up' side and Harley herself seems to have no back/stomach on her. (of course her breasts are still huge) The original sketch had Harley going to bite the lollipop while tugging on her own neck piece but the bust has gone with Harley in mid-bite with her hand on her hip.

I'm not sure which one I prefer. I'm guessing they went with the hand on hip design because otherwise it might have looked too busy and I'm not really sure why she was pulling her own leash but it was a different, unique pose. Here, you can easily lose her black glove on her black hip. In the sketch Harley has a lot more muscle definition which is lost in translation but my pet peeve about Harley Quinn's figures, statues and collectibles?

The diamonds are rarely ever done right. It fascinates me. You read a Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman comic and the artists will tenderly recreate every scratch, tear, dirt smudge and battle scar in every panel after it happens but when it comes to Harley? Would it kill them to look at her artwork first? Sure it's two toned chaos but it's not really that hard a costume to depict.

Still, I'm pretty happy with it all after DC Direct *finally* released it after they kept pushing the date back and further away. I open the box and inside I get an advert for a new Harley Quinn mini ame-comi... but that was released ages ago and I've already got the damn thing before I even saw the ad. The hell? Get your act together guys.

eBay has made it much easier to be a collector these days. It does take some of the fun out of going to comic stores, but Australian stores still have a long way to go in regards to value for money and variety of product. I now have nearly every Harley item in known existence. I've also got a few Harley items that no one else in the world could have, so that makes me feel really awesome. One of these days I might add photographs to my catalogue and upload some on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment